If you’ve ever visited Brooklyn in the fall, chances are you’ve heard of the BAM Next Wave Festival. This beloved event is presented by the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) and has been showcasing some of the city’s finest music, theater, opera, and dance since 1983. Attendees can admire the work of both emerging artists and modern masters from September to December. Here are some of the things you’ll see at the 2017 BAM Next Wave Festival.
Your Guide to the BAM Next Wave Festival
2017 Program Schedule
This year, the Next Wave Festival returns for four packed months of incredible performances at its Brooklyn-based urban arts center. You’ll enjoy over 30 dance, music, opera, theater, physical theater, and performance art engagements. As an added bonus, most performances are either world, US, or New York premieres.
One of the most anticipated shows is John Cale’s 50th-anniversary tribute to The Velvet Underground on November 16th and 17th. There’s also a John Cale 75th Birthday Concert on November 18th. Other festival highlights include:
- Olivier Py Sings Les Premiers Adieux de Miss Knife: The alter-ego of French artist Olivier Py, this original avant-cabaret features a surprise New York guest each night.
- “My Lai” featuring Kronos Quartet, Rinde Eckert, Vân-Ánh Võ, Jonathan Berger, and Harriet Scott: Composer Jonathan Berger and Kronos Quartet present a character study of the US Army pilot who attempted to stop the civilian massacre in South Vietnam.
- “Road Trip” ft. Bang on a Can All-Stars, Michael Gordon, David Lang, Julia Wolfe: Composers Michael Gordon, David Lang, and Julia Wolfe celebrate 30 years of downtown music collective “Bang on a Can” with this musical road trip.
- Gabriel Kahane – Book of Travelers: Singer-songwriter Gabriel Kahane chronicles his recent two-week train trip across the US in this hymn.
- Bangsokol: A Requiem for Cambodia: Two survivors of the Khmer Rouge return dignity to their country’s fallen with this musical ritual about the Cambodian genocide.
There’s plenty more to enjoy during the BAM Next Wave Festival! View the full lineup online and be sure to purchase your tickets when they go on sale on August 7, 2017.
Book Your Stay with At Home In Brooklyn
Now that you know all about this year’s festival, it’s time to start planning your trip to New York! Our Park Slope bed and breakfast is just a short drive from the event venue and is the perfect place to unwind. Enjoy comfortable guest rooms, top-notch amenities, and a delicious complimentary breakfast each morning of your stay. We’re even offering an Extended Stay Special so you can experience as much of the festival as possible! Check our availability online or give us a call to make your reservations today. We look forward to having you!
Looking for more fun things to do?
Read our blog about the best Brooklyn Academy of Music Events!